- Skip Navigation

Access Services
Access Services

Other Transportation Options

Using Your Access Rider ID Card to Ride Local  Buses and Trains

You are entitled to free rides on most local buses and trains with your green Access Rider ID Card. Simply tap your card on the TAP validator for the bus or train you are boarding. If you need help tapping, ask the driver to help you. Your card contains an electronic chip that will allow you to travel for free on participating transit agencies. With some transit agencies, they may ask you to show your card to the driver or tap it on the farebox.

Travel Training: Access can give you a free training session in preparation for taking these regular routes. Call Access Customer Service for more information.

For More Information:  For a full list of regional and local transit options please go to or call Access Customer Service at

TDD 1.800.827.1359

Using Free Fare on Metrolink
You are entitled to free rides on the Metrolink rail system within Los Angeles County only. That includes service on all Metrolink lines except for the Inland Empire Orange County (IEOC) Line, which does not cross into Los Angeles County. However, for trips that cross into a county other than Los Angeles, you will need to purchase a ticket at a reduced rate (senior/disabled rate) for the portion of the trip that is outside of Los Angeles County. For example, if traveling on the San Bernardino Line from Los Angeles Union Station to San Bernardino, your Access Rider ID card will allow for free travel between Union Station and Claremont, but a ticket is required for the  remaining portion of the trip into San Bernardino. The table on the following page indicates the segments of each line which you can travel for free on Metrolink.

 From LA Union Station to:      Metrolink Line 
 Lancaster Antelope Valley
 ClaremontSan Bernardino 
 Chatsworth Ventura County
 Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs Orange County or 91
 Downtown Pomona Riverside

Metrolink asks that passengers requiring boarding assistance wait at the top of the access ramp located at the end of the station platform. Wheelchairs can only be accommodated on the lower level of the passenger car that stops opposite the platform access ramp.

A personal care assistant (PCA) can accompany you on Metrolink without purchasing a ticket (if you were approved to have a PCA travel with you, your Access Rider ID card will say so). However, the PCA must board and detrain with you and must stay with you for the entirety of the trip.

You can travel on Metrolink with a service animal, provided that Metrolink’s rules and responsibilities regarding service animals are followed.

For more information about how to plan a trip on Metrolink, go to or call 1.800.371.LINK (5465). For more details about Metrolink’s Service Animal and other
Accessibility policies, please go to

Previous / Next